3 Factors Demand a Move on Metadata Management
In order to provide this type of information to your BI users, you will need a back-end Metadata Service which provides this type of semantic and business metadata in a concise and useful manner
- Management of a metadata repository is one of the essential activities of a data steward within a governance practice.
- Data Stewardship to ensure that the master data and metadata is clean consistent, and accurate.
- Data Governance rules are metadata for governance.
- Collaboration capabilities are key.
In order to provide data governance, metadata management is an important facet starting with an inventory of data assets.
- Big data is schema-less and mostly unstructured.
- The variety of big data demands a comprehensive metadata catalog to manage and understand these assets.
- Successful self service BI on Big data will be next to impossible without a metadata service.
Now is the time to start factoring in a metadata repository or cataloging system to both document and provide web services access to the metadata, through the new cloud applications and services.