Unlocking the Power of Metadata Management for Your Enterprise
Metadata management is the process of cataloging and gathering information that describes an organization's data and processes. This knowledge is necessary to effectively manage, maintain, and enhance technology environments. By leveraging metadata, enterprises can document their data processing systems and gain valuable insights to improve their operations.
Effective metadata management also unlocks the value of datasets, allowing organizations to better understand the quality, structure, and relationships between their data. With this understanding, they can make more informed decisions and drive better outcomes.
What is Metadata Management?
Metadata management is crucial for effective data governance and stewardship as it provides a framework for understanding, organizing, and managing data. Metadata provides information about data, such as its structure, source, and format, making it easier to locate, understand, and use.
Effective metadata management is essential for achieving good data quality, which is crucial for making informed business decisions. It enables organizations to assess the accuracy, completeness, and timeliness of their data, ensuring that data-driven insights are reliable and trustworthy.
Without proper metadata management, organizations may struggle to identify, access, and analyze their data, leading to data silos, duplication, and inconsistency. This can result in poor decision-making, compliance issues, and increased costs.
What is a Metadata Management Framework?
A metadata management and integration framework is the backbone of effective data governance and stewardship. At InfoLibrarian™, we provide a comprehensive suite of tools and methodologies to streamline your metadata management process. Our Enterprise Metadata Integration & Management Framework™ enables you to easily manage and integrate metadata from multiple sources, including databases, data warehouses, data lakes, ETL and data modeling tools. With our framework, you can ensure that your data assets are well-documented and well-understood, enabling better business decisions and improving data quality. Moreover, our adherence to industry open standards and frameworks for data governance, data cataloging, and data quality ensures compliance and enables informed decision-making.
A Metadata Management Framework Solution
Unlock the hidden value of your IT infrastructure with InfoLibrarian's Enterprise Metadata Integration & Management Framework™. Our comprehensive solution excels in assembling both business and technical metadata for your enterprise, enabling informed decision-making and improved data governance. With our Active Metadata Asset Registry Integration Framework, you can easily capture and manage metadata from multiple sources and integrate with real-time systems. Trust InfoLibrarian™ to streamline your metadata management and documentation process, making it easy to manage and publish metadata throughout your enterprise in real-time. Experience better business outcomes and ensure compliance with InfoLibrarian's market-leading metadata management solution.
Professional Services Consulting
| Metadata Management Framework™ Solution
InfoLibrarian Metadata Management & Data Governance Framework™
For Enteprise Metadata Management
Types of Metadata
There are many types of metadata, but the three most widely classified kinds are business metadata, technical metadata and semantics metadata.
Technical metadata describes technical systems, tools and usually is extracted using some form of adapter.
Business metadata is key to providing a global perspective to the metadata and allows all business users to drill through to the level of detail they require. It delivers more than just technical
descriptions, but presents information that is useful to the business.
Finally, semantic metadata is more or less the synonyms, antonyms, and alias information. Which when collected and managed provides a value add to the metadata.
Technical Metadata supports developers and technical personnel in linking tools, applications and process documentation together to provide search-ability when supporting and I.T. applications, processes and tools.
Technical metadata describes the technical systems it represents such as:
- Data Dictionaries
- Source Code
- Process Flow Descriptions.
- ETL Mappings.
Business metadata describes technical computer data, business rules, applications and processes in a way that is understandable to the business users. Business metadata hides technological constraints by mapping business language to the technical systems.
Business metadata describes the technical systems it represents such as:
- Business Terms.
- Business Rules.
- Key Performance Indicators.
- Data Quality Metric.
- Data Governance Rules or Policies
Semantic metadata ensures the technical and business users are relying on a common business meaning, regardless of how it is represented or referred to. This reduces the all too frequent communications gap that exists within large organizations between I.T. and the business, by promoting the use of metadata, which is consistent for each of the parties and also correlated to one another.
Semantic metadata describes the technical systems it represents such as:
More about business metadata ...
- Data fields are named the same but have a different meaning.
- Data fields are named differently but mean the same thing.
- Data fields have many names and many meanings.
Key Requirements of a Metadata Tool Solution
What is truly needed is a repository like a card catalog in a library through which business users, project managers and technical people can look up, by subject, the elements of information, view descriptions and see what processes actually load and manipulate their data.
The InfoLibrarian Framework™ is the leading metadata repository and portal solution for capturing, managing and publishing metadata across the enterprise.
InfoLibrarian™ reduces integration and management costs by providing a "card catalog" style metadata registry system which manages information assets, mappings and semantics relating to hardware, software, processes and data.
InfoLibrarian Software™ solves the key problem of sharing accurate knowledge about data, business rules, and the complex processes that affect your data.
InfoLibrarian™ Metadata Management Key Features
- A central, vendor neutral, repository to store the metadata.
- Powerful tools to discover as much metadata as possible automatically.
- Not cost prohibitive.
- Provides immediate value.
- Provides a search engine.
- Ability to perform impact analysis.
- Simple automated maintenance and scalability.
- Allows you to manage business metadata.
- Provides a historical perspective with comparison features.
InfoLibrarian™ Answers these Questions
- What you have.
- What the meanings are.
- Where it is located.
- Show what created it.
- Show how to retrieve it.
InfoLibrarian™ metadata tools capture and manage all types of metadata from one or more metadata repositories, Where it can then be published using our
portals or to other third party tools via simple queries as well as web services in the cloud.
Metadata Management Benefits
We need the ability of seeing documentation showing the interrelationships between the different parts of the systems we maintain, regardless of the complexities within.
Leverage your current knowledge base and provide all users the same picture of your infrastructure resulting in groups actively working more closely together, designing better architectures, providing faster support responses and achieving significantly more uptime across the board.
With a typical tool deployment time of less than two days your company can start using the product right now; through an interface you'll be immediately familiar with - the InfoLibrarian™ Portal.
- Ensure service level agreements are being met.
- Manage data governance policies and controls.
- Provides the linkage between the business need or desire (policy) and the information or data value.
- Transfer the knowledge that is held by key employees into your metadata repository and make it available to everyone, reducing the cost of lost time from employee turnover.
- Minimize cost over-runs on new projects.
- Train new employees to support current technical systems in half the time.
- Creating and documenting the data definitions for the subject area’s entities and attributes.
- Identifying the business and architectural relationships between objects.
- Certifying the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of the content.
- Establishing and documenting the context of the content (data heritage and lineage).
- Providing a range of contextual understanding for an increasingly diverse range of data users, including trusted data for compliance, internal controls, and better decision-making.
- Providing some of the information a technology professional might need for the physical implementation.
- Perform Impact Analysis.
- Manage your data dictionaries and related database documentation.
- Improve data quality
- Provide data governance metadata
- Improve overall data stewardship
- Find documentation to do daily jobs.
- Capture documentation within a repository.
- Provide accurate answers which would usually require extensive research.
- Better scope projects by utilizing powerful impact analysis capabilities.
- Manage project documentation.
- Search and view technical systems to get documentation in an easy understandable format.
- Provides the Metadata for utilizing powerful business intelligence applications.
- Manage project documentation.
- Add business descriptions to metadata to extend and leverage your information assets.
- Provide documentation automatically to other business units.
Follow the links below to see how InfoLibrarian™ can help you to capture and manage enterprise metadata.
Metadata Management & Data Governance Consulting
InfoLibrarian Metadata Management Framework™ Solution